Forum: GMAT, TOEFL, and other tests (18 Comments)

suggestion for top schools with GMAT score of 660

• Posted by - avvnsmohan - on 4 November 2011 - 8:40am

Hi ,

can you guys suggest some top 10 schools where i can stand a chance to get in MIM program.

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 26 November 2015 - 9:25am

Hi Anand,

read my The MIM - Master in Management Entry Requirements eBook already? There you find the original answers of the schools when I asked them what they expect from MIM applicants, what their average or minimum GMAt score is or if they require interviews etc.

Best regards,
      Thomas

by Thomas Graf
      MIM Compass Founder

• Posted by - a4anand - on 25 November 2015 - 11:17pm

hey thomas
      i just took gmat and scored 690.i am interested to persue mim,but i am not sure if this score is good enough for schools such as hec, lbs, duke, or st gallens. i just completed my b tech (marine engineering) from india. i have sailed onboard two ships as junior marine engineer during my internship of 5 and 1/2 months and ended up with a job offer. i have some experience of working with people of different nations and cultures . during my sailing ,i visited many different countries and their ports. I have been through paramilitary training during college. gpa is bit on the low side (69%). i am not sure if the score of 690 can make my profile competitive enough for these schools. should i consider retaking gmat. i know i can score better than that but don't have much time on my side. i need to apply during second round application in january. should i focus on application or should i retake gmat?

regards
      anand

• Posted by - ravi_uppal2004 - on 11 June 2015 - 9:20pm

Hi Sarat,

My GMAT score is 660 . Quant - 49 and Verbal- 35 and AWA is 5.5 , Overall work experiences is 10 years , 7 years in India and 3 years in United States , I am currently based in United states and looking at my options for schools in US, Singapore and India
      My job is management consulting and i work in the Six sigma, Lean process improvement domain
      I have bachelor’s degree in economics with a low GPA of 3 and then got a Masters in Commerce from an open school with a higher GPS of 4.5
      Have done few extracurricular activities and have been involved with some NGO's
      Please advise what schools I should target

Regards,
      Ravi Uppal

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 12 June 2015 - 10:40am

Hi Ravi,

it all depends on what you want... a genertal management education? a specialized business education? Full-time, part-time? In Europe, North America, Asia, etc.?

One thing is clear: You cannot do a Master in Management (MIM) as you have work experience. There are some professional MIM programs that may be suited for you (check my searche engine and use the filter "Masters in Management for Professionals") - but in general, an MBA may be interesting for you. You can use the www.mba-compass.com to find programs.

Overall, I recommend you to carefully read my Business Masters eBook ("MIM eBook") to get an overview and a methodology how to proceed to find your school.

Best regards,
        Thomas

by Thomas Graf
        MIM Compass Founder

• Posted by - taras - on 6 September 2013 - 9:19am

Hai Thomas,

If you are given a choice between top tier French colleges like ESSEC,EDHEC,ESC-toulouse,EMLyon,SKEMA...etc and German colleges like ESMT,EBS,Mannheim;which one you would choose as a non-EU candidate keeping in mind the stay back options aswell?Given the weak economic condition of France and high un-employment rate,should one still go ahead with french B-Schools??Or consider a German B-School since its economy is on a high????Can after pursuing an MIM in france,one would be able to find job in Germany as a non-EU?I don't want to come back to India after making such a huge investment,I would like to work atleast 3 years from where I complete my studies.

Clarifications would be appreciated,

Regards,
      Sarat

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 9 September 2013 - 11:49am

Hi Sarat,

thank you for your question. I don't think that the question should be between a group of French vs a group of German schools. My personal recommendation is always to screen the respective school/program of interest, raise the key questions, and then decide. Since you have clarified your personal career goals after the Master already - you want a job in Europe - what are the key questions?

• How many percent of your graduates find a job within 3 months of graduating?
        • Where do they find a job (country, industries, firms)?
        • Where do you students come from?

If you see that non of you the students comes from your country, this may be a disadvantage for you as the school likely has no experience in placing you. If none of the firms or industries represented by them is interesting for you or belongs to your target firms or industries, maybe not the best school for you...

Once this is clear for all of your target programs, the next step is to talk to current students and to alumni, ideally of your nationality. Thee people can bring you a new perspective on the same program and likely tell you about difficulties or advices in finding a job.

Best regards,
        Thomas

by Thomas Graf
        MIM Compass Founder

• Posted by - hitesh1590 - on 2 September 2013 - 4:56am

Hey Thomas,
      Thanks for your great advice, you are a very good guide...
      B)

• Posted by - csar2541 - on 26 August 2013 - 2:34pm

Hi Thomas,

I am Sourav, from India. I attended GMAT for the first time and got 769 score and a 5 in AWA. . I even have a 8 score in IELTS . But I passed my B.Tech in Electrical Engineering,with a cgpa of 6.3/10( around 63%) from a recognized institution in India.
      I am really interested in MIM from a top university (especially from London ,Barcelona,Stockholm) , but am really baffled by their admission requirements,which do not specify accurately for Indian students.

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 26 August 2013 - 4:04pm

Hi there,

thank you for your message. Very likely, you will encounter three types of schools now:

(1) Schools that may not accept you due to your GPA score, even though your GMAT is excellent.
        Examples may be HEC Paris or London Business School. I am not saying that they definitely won't accept you - but I consider your chances as being very low.

(2) Schools that may accept you - at least invite you for an interview - because they acknowledge your high GMAT - even though they are selective in general.
        Examples may be IE or ESADE - but you need to check this out.

(3) Schools that are less selective and will definitely invite you.

I recommend you to move on two-fold:

(1) Contact your favorite schools - the admissions office of the respective Master in Management - and ask them if your GPA kicks you out even though you have a great GMAT. Let me know what they said.

(2) Increase your selection of schools just to be safe. There are top-ranked schools that do emphasize rather the full cv than primarily your academic requirements - for example, IE and maybe also some of the schools you mentioned. But take 2, 3, or 4 more schools into consideration and contact the as well.

This will provide you immediately with a concrete answer.

Best regards,
        Thomas

by Thomas Graf
        MIM Compass Founder

• Posted by - csar2541 - on 26 August 2013 - 5:27pm

Thomas ,

Thanks,Its been real kind of you to reply to my query.I gonna contact IE and ESADE .I was already aware about LBS and HEC . They have a stiff admission requirements. But could u pls lead me into the 3rd type of schools that u recommended which are comparatively less selective? could u be more specific pls?
          Which schools come under it ? Are they in top 50 of FT ranking list?

How about Stockholm School Of Economics's Master in General Management Or HHL Germany?Will they give me an invite?

Thanks
          Sourav.

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 27 August 2013 - 2:14am

Hi Souvav,

thank you for your question. The best way to find this out is by contacting the schools yourself. So, let me encourage you again to determine a selection of schools you are interested in - and then just send them an email. You can use our School Contact section, for example, to send some of them a message.

At the end of the day, only one question is important for you regarding your GPA: Does a school take your GPA as a kick-out criterion or not. Once a school does not tell you that the GPA is too low, you can keep this school on your list (whether category 2 or 3).

Best regards,
            Thomas

by Thomas Graf
            MIM Compass Founder

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 27 August 2013 - 11:29am

Since you mentioned the HHL: The HHL Master in Management requires a first degree in business or economics. With some years of work experience, however, you can apply for the MBA.

From my experience, business schools weigh the GMAT more than your grade in your undergraduate studies when it comes to the MBA. As for the Master in Management, it is the opposite. Business Schools weight the GPA more than the GMAT.

Bottom line: With 769 GMAT you likely impress any program managers as long as the respective program requires the GMAT - whether MBA or MIM. Hence, I wouldn't be too worried at the moment. I am confident that you will find a MIM program that satisfies you. If - for whatever reason - you should not become invited at a specific school because of your GPA and if - again: for whatever reason - you want to study there, you can try it again in a while and with respect to the MBA. There your chances should be higher.

Best regards,
              Thomas

by Thomas Graf
              MIM Compass Founder

• Posted by - hitesh1590 - on 28 August 2013 - 6:17am

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 28 August 2013 - 2:16pm

Hi there,

thank you for your question. With respect to your eligibility and chances to survive the first application round I am confident that most if not all of these schools will be interested in you. Hence, you can move on now and follow my suggestion mentioned above: Contact the schools to get more information from them so that you can determine in advance which of them meets your preferences more than others.

Of course, you can apply at all of them. But given that you just screened the schools externally so far I suggest that you make one more step before applying: Contact the schools, have your personal preferences about what you expect from a master prepared, and try to find out the overlap.

For example, if your preference is to work in a consulting firm, ask them about consulting companies recruiting on campus. You can also ask them how many students from your country they have per year. If they have no experience with placing graduates of your nationality, then maybe this is not the best place for you.

Best regards,
                  Thomas

by Thomas Graf
                  MIM Compass Founder

• Posted by - hitesh1590 - on 26 August 2013 - 1:20pm

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 26 August 2013 - 1:46pm

Hi there,

thank you for your email. 650 is not a low score. In fact, it is a very good score. None of the schools in the Financial Times Master in Management ranking will reject you because of this score.

Best regards,
        Thomas

by Thomas Graf
        MIM Compass Founder

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 5 November 2011 - 12:49am

Hi,

well... think about your question first... Does it really make sense...? Have you informed yourself already about the market and the schools that offer Master in Management programs? Have you investigated in yourself and identified some of your preferences and goals?

I am not asking you this to provoke you or be unpolite. But you need to start your own reflection process first before anyone else can give you recommendations.

Of course, if you just want some inspirations you can have a look at:

But more important is that you start figuring out what you want:

• which country
      • where do work later on
      • whether a general management program or a specialized Master
        etc. and then get into touch with schools.

Best regards,
      Thomas

by Thomas Graf
      MIM Compass Founder